Saturday, January 18, 2014

I learn something every time I travel...

In this case, the thing I learned on my first evening in St. Lucia is that I like "pisswater" beer. :)

We arrived in St. Lucia late in the afternoon. We wandered out of the small airport to pick up our reserved rental car, and we were informed that there were no cars available because the car we were supposed to get was never returned. The guy in front of us had the same situation and was flipping out about it. Evidently he has never been to the Caribbean before - stuff like this just happens and you just have to roll with it rather than let it mess up your trip. :) The car rental company called our villa owners for us, and the owner Ken kindly came to pick us up.

We made a brief stop in Vieux Fort for the ATM and groceries, then headed out of town toward the villa. On the way Ken honked and waved at everybody he knew, which was about half of the people we passed. :) He also pointed out several little tiny restaurants outside people's houses and noted, "This one has the freshest bread, she's open Monday, Tuesday and Saturday" and "This lady her sells ice cold beer, and she's drunk as soon as she wakes up..." :) We stopped at a little bar/grocery store and he bought us a cold beer as a welcome drink. I have never in my life liked beer, but there was nothing else to drink and I didn't want to be rude, so I took the island brand beer Piton and took a sip.

I couldn't have been more surprised that I actually LIKED it!! For the first time in my life I found a beer I actually LIKE! Gavin informed me that if I like this Piton beer, I'd probably like Bud Light, which I have always heard referred to as "pisswater beer." :) Oh dear, it appears that I have terrible taste in beer...

Next to the bar. I don't think I would really consider getting a tattoo here at "Big Dreams..." :)

While we sat on the steps of the bar drinking our beer, a friend of Ken's walked up and wailed that his wife had left him and "he loves her so much!" He was wearing what Gavin and I have jokingly started calling the "Caribbean uniform:" jeans and a wife-beater shirt. After having a quick beer with us, he continued to whatever activities he had going on for the evening, and Ken told us that the wife probably left for a good reason. :)

We arrived at the lovely villa and Ken showed us around. It was twilight, but we could still see the amazing view from our deck of both the Atlantic Ocean and the Carribean Sea. We settled in and went to bed early, while the local frogs and insects lulled us to sleep.

Enjoying my Piton, St. Lucia's brand of cheap beer. (this is from a different day, but I didn't have any pictures from the first day of the trip!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment