Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A bee in my bonnet. (literally)


Today we hopped back on our motorcycles to drive the Central Coastal Drive; a scenic route that leaves Charlottetown and goes north to the Green Gables shore, then heads south along the Red Sands Shore.  It only took us about a half hour to drive from the south of the island to the north (P.E.I. is about the size of Delaware), where the Green Gables shore encompasses the Prince Edward Island National Park, a shoreline with beach after huge beach of perfect soft, red sand and supposedly the warmest ocean water north of the Carolinas; we didn’t get into the water since it was only about 65 degrees and WINDY today.  We stopped off at several beaches just to take a look, and the continued on the trail.

Me getting windblown on one of the lovely red sand beaches.

Another lovely beach.  I have no idea why I am glowing.  Maybe my phone
caught my aura.  :)

Red sands, beautiful waves.

We stopped for gas around lunch time, and we ended up getting gas station sandwiches for lunch since I was hungry and we hadn’t seen any restaurants so far on the trail.

Life is rough on a motorcycle, eatin' sandwiches on a gas station curb...

After lunch we accidentally got off the trail and took a long detour all the way back to Charlottetown before realizing we were off the trail, so we had to go all the way back and get on the trail again!  So much for me trying to save battery charge by leaving my cell phone map off…  

Once we got back on path, a little farther along the shore we came upon the Green Gables Heritage Place, which is the location of the actual house and area written about in Anne of Green Gables.  We wandered through the house and took brief walks down “Lover’s Lane” and into the “Haunted Woods.”  We thought it was a little out of character for us to be wandering around Green Gables in motorcycle gear.  :)

The Anne of Green Gables house.

Carriage out back.

Gavin in the barn of Green Gables.

A little side note, a matter of pride for me…  You may know I have one huge fear in life, and that is insects, spiders, etc; basically anything that has more than 4 legs…  While enjoying our sunny ride suddenly a BEE got into my helmet as I am going 55mph down the road…  I could see it out of the corner of my eye sitting right down inside the visor…  Why it is a matter of pride is I DIDN’T WRECK THE MOTORCYCLE.  I was able to control my terror and stop and yank off my helmet and dump it out!  Go me!

Granted, it was a small bee, and it was already dead from hitting the front of my helmet, and then it got sucked in already dead.  :)

Some scenery from the Central Coastal Drive.
 

I don't know what crop this is in the field behind me, but it had the most
incredibly bright yellow flowers.  The color didn't come out near as brilliant
in the photo!

On the way to the south part of the trail, I managed to get us off trail again, and we got on the main highway back to Charlottetown.  It was REALLY WINDY; Gavin accused me of weaving on the road, but I was just getting buffeted by the wind itself and the wind of passing cars and had to keep adjusting!  After several miles of this, we decided it was too awful to stay on that road and I opened the map to find us another route back to Charlottetown.  The route I picked happened to have the bridge completely out, but right as I discovered this a couple of friendly local bikers pulled up behind us and offered to let us follow them to Charlottetown, so we got an impromptu group ride for a few miles.

Back in Charlottetown, we went out for dinner again in Victoria Row since there were more outdoor restaurants to choose from.  Tonight the band was a cover band playing pretty much all of Gavin’s favorite songs, so we stayed out a bit later listening to them.  Then we went back to the hotel to go to bed.  Tomorrow we will choose one of the other scenic drives P.E.I. has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment