Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cotton candy, leather whips, graffiti

Today was our last day in Buenos Aires. After packing all our stuff in preparation for our flight this evening, we met up with a couple of Gavin's friends to head over to the San Telmo market (another feria that we have never seen). Instead of being full of arts and crafts, this feria was full of stalls selling every kind of antique, from clothing, to jewelry to telephones to leather whips! I gnabbed some fresh cotton candy, as I can never walk by a cotton candy stand, and we wandered through the stalls of "junk." :) (we are not big on antiques) The square was full of people, and there were also live musicians playing tango music and tango dancers dancing for tips. We bought some empanadas (cold, unfortunately) from a teenage boy selling them from a box. On our way to a lunch placed picked from Lonely Planet, we stopped and bought another watercolor painting of Buenos Aires. We had lunch at a little cafe that actually served health food - I saw TOFU, of all things, listed on the menu! I happily ate my only vegetarian meal of the whole trip; a lentils-based veggie burger and salad.


I enjoy some fresh cotton candy in the Plaza de San Telmo.



A girl sells empanadas at the Feria de San Telmo.


The graffiti in Buenos Aires in general is really beautiful and interesting, but one of my favorites is in San Telmo.


Graffiti of San Telmo.


When we arrived back at our house, we had an hour and a few pesos to get rid of before leaving for the airport. We walked to one of the nearby ferias on Armenia, and since we didn't find anything interesting there, we continued one more block to spend the last of our pesos to eat Perssico helado one last time. :) We walked back to the house while eating the ice cream, and I happened to walk over one of the ubiquitous Buenos Aires dog poop piles that had almost the exact same size, texture and color as the dulce de leche ice cream in my cup. Almost made me lose my appetite for it, but not quite. :)

Tonight we say adios to Buenos Aires, and hola to Lima, Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment