Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Beefing up" my yoga practice

I practiced yoga on a cow skin this morning.

Not a piece of leather or a rug, an actual cow skin, hair included, still in the shape it was when it was removed from the cow. I guess it is a little un-yogic to practice on the skin of a dead animal, given the yogic tenant of Ahimsa, or non-violence to all living things, but hey! I didn't kill it! :) (and I forgot my travel yoga mat...)

These cow skins are all over the place - there is one in every room of the house, they are used as table cloths at restaurants, etc. (even if one seeks out the few vegetarian options for meals, one still has to eat on a dead animal table cloth. :) )

Lest you think I am a more dedicated vacation practitioner than I actually am, my vacation practice only consists of a few minutes of essential postures, not a full practice. Though I did bring a light, foam yoga block this time; supported fish is the posture I miss the most on vacation, especially after long hours crammed into a plane. It was definitely worth the extra space it took up in my backpack, and will be a vacation essential from now on. :)

Our beautiful, sunny bedroom, complete with cow skin "yoga rug." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment